Healthy living and eating in 2017 is gonna be a major goal for most of us!
I’ve been asked for my collard greens recipe by a few people so that will be my first post for 2017. I use a healthier choice of smoked turkey and green bell pepper for flavor. My Grandma Arizona Lisco used to tell me to add the “slick” Turnip greens to the collard greens to give an additional and different flavor and texture, so these are the 3 things I add to the collards.
1 Bunch Turnip Greens
3 Bunches Collard Greens
1 Smoked Turkey Wing
1 Green Bell Pepper, Core Removed
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 tsp Salt
WHAT TO DO IN A NUTSHELL
ADD WATER AND SALT TO A POT, SIMMER THE TURKEY WING
RINSE RINSE RINSE THE GREENS
CHOP THE GREENS
ADD THE GREENS TO THE POT
ADD CORED GREEN PEPPER
- Add 8 cups of water to a large pot. Add salt and turkey wing and simmer. Add additional water if needed.
- Rinse Turnip and Collard greens- The first and most important task is the wash the collard and turnip greens to rinse off any dirt or bugs. Don’t slack off with this! Unless you don’t mind a little grit and critters in your veggies.
HOW-TO WASH GREENS!
Trim the ends of the greens
Fill a large bowl with water
Soak and Rinse in one bowl
Place in the other bowl of water
- Chop all of the greens into 1 inch strips. Once you are sure your greens are clean (mostly :)) Layer a few and cut into one pieces. This makes the dish easier to eat and looks kinda neater. Presentation is everything when cooking.
Young Daughter chopping greens
Chopped Collard Greens
- Remove smoked turkey from pot and set aside.
- Placed chopped greens into pot and add more water to make the pot half full. The greens will cook down, so don’t worry if they won’t all fit into the pot. Add the green bell pepper on top. Add the olive oil. Just pour it over everything.
- Simmer greens for about 40 mins.Occasionally stir a bit, as the greens “cook down”.
- While everything is simmering, remove turkey meat from turkey wing. Chop up and set aside.
- After 40 minutes or so has passed, place chopped turkey back into the pot . I like to place it on top, on one side, and anyone who wants smoked turkey can easily pick it out.
- Continue to simmer for 15 additional minutes.